From Scarsdale, New York, USA:

My 7 year old son was just diagnosed with diabetes, and I was reading about concerns about cuts and feet. Is there anything special I should do in regard to ordinary cuts or with his feet?

A child with diabetes does not need to follow any special foot care guidelines. Regular shoes that fit well, any kind of socks are fine. I recommend that all kids (diabetes or not) wear sandals or shoes and not walk barefoot out of the house to prevent cuts.

After many years of diabetes, if there is a problem with sensation (feeling) in the feet, as well as circulation problems, it is important to pay close attention to foot care. Daily inspection of the feet to find cuts and sores early is very important. Regular evaluation of the feet by a diabetes clinician is important in this case.

The results of studies such as the DCCT show that keeping the blood glucoses in the best range you can may prevent or delay the neuropathy which can lead to foot problems.

Additional comments from Dr. Schulga:

It is important that we start looking after feet in childhood. Teaching children the importance of looking after their feet now will stand them in good stead for the future.

The podiatrist often picks up several foot problems in our clinics which are preventable. Given they are not directly related to diabetes, but teaching the families that sorting out foot problems as and when they occur is a much better investment in the future, especially in children with diabetes.