Question:

From Iowa, USA:

I have a 14 year old son. He has had type 1 for over 2 years. While looking on the Internet, I came across an article in Doctors Guide to the Internet In the Medical News alerts. In an Oct. 22, 1997 article, Dr. David Classen linked Hepatitis B Vaccine to the onset of type 1 diabetes. My son at 12 years old was given his last hepatitis B shot. Four months later he was diagnosed. Have you heard of this? If you have, can you direct me to any more articles on this or any other research on this.

Answer:

There is no good evidence that diabetes is linked in any way to any vaccination programme.

[Editor's comment: Dr. Classen's reports related to immunizations can be found on his vaccines.net web site. The web site is run by Classen Immunotherapies, Inc., owned by John Barthelow Classen, M.D., and author of the reports. Also, see Hepatitis B and Questions and Answers about Diabetes and Vaccines from the Centers for Disease Control web site. JSH]