Question:

From Troy, Missouri, USA:

I am presently counseling a 14 year old who has type 1 diabetes and is using drugs and alcohol. I am in need of information on the physical effects of drug and alcohol use on individuals with type 1 diabetes. Can you please tell me where I can obtain this information?

Answer:

Drugs and alcohol can have a very dangerous impact on the health of a person with diabetes. To read more about the exact reasons for this danger, you may wish to read Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. Other books that you may wish to own are: In Control: A Guide for Teens with Diabetes by Jean Betschart and Susan Thom, published through Eli Lilly; and Practical Psychology for Diabetes Clinicians by Barbara Anderson and Richard Rubin, which is published through the American Diabetes Association.

Good luck.

JWB

Posted to Behavior