Question:

From Parma Heights, Ohio, USA:

My son (age 9, diagnosed Type 1 10 months ago at age 8) is on the heavy side (5 feet; 125 pounds) and would like to lose weight. He counts carbs and we are trying to replace his snacks (which are usually packaged peanut butter crackers or chips) with fruit. Since we started, he has been running low (not often too terribly low, but below his target) before lunch. I read one of your responses that said sugars are not processed as quickly as previously thought. Is it just coincidence that he is lower with fruit or is it processed more rapidly than the crackers may be? I would like to replace more of his carbs at meals with fruit or milk as well, but don't to cause him to run low.

Answer:

Without getting into a treatise on glycaemic indices, why don't you reduce your son's insulin? A reduction in calories and a cut in insulin will help in weight reduction. The lower blood sugars indicate that he's eating less.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss