Question:

From Georgia, USA:

Last week we were told my son has Ketotic Hypoglycemia. He is 5 years old and starts kindergarten this year. Does Hypoglycemia fall under the category of diabetes when it comes to federal laws, section 504 and IDEA? If not, does he have rights under any other laws to say that his school must accommodate his special needs?

Answer:

Ketotic hypoglycemia is a completely different entity than diabetes. However, if your child has a medical condition, the school should meet the needs where possible. Have you met with the staff yet? If there is a problem I would pursue your child's medical needs further, by going up the ladder at the school until you get the help you need.

LM

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare