Question:

From Johannesburg, South Africa:

I'm 13 years old and have had diabetes 1 for 10 years. I have always had it under control, but the last few months it's been really hard to control it. What is the problem and what can I do to prevent it?

Answer:

It sounds like you are discovering that controlling diabetes during puberty can be quite tricky because of all the other hormones whizzing around -- growth hormone, testosterone, etc. Speak to your diabetes team about the best way to manage your sugars. They will be very used to dealing with this.