Question:

From Eden, North Carolina, USA:

Is there any realtionship between diabetes and splitting fingernails? A friend who has had diabetes for several years is beginning to have a problem with her nails splitting. Normally they are very hard. There is no nail fungus. She says that the same thing happened to her mother after a few years with diabetes.

Answer:

None that I know of.

Additional Comments from Dr. Tessa G. Lebinger

Sometimes people with thyroid problems have nails that split easily. Thyroid problems are slightly more common in people with diabetes. If this hasn't been checked, I would speak to your doctor.

Additional comments added 11 Dec 1999