From Naples, Florida, USA:

My son was born 4 pounds, 4 ounces, with IUGR [intrauterine growth retardation], etiology unknown and had hyperglycemia at 2 days. I am wondering if this is common and what should be done to follow up with this diagnosis. I had heard and have found a lot of information on hypoglycemia at birth, that it is common, but not much on hyper. Is this a precursor for diabetes? Should I have regular sugar screenings?

Without knowing a great deal more about your son's perinatal history, how old he is now and what blood sugar levels have been doing since the early hyperglycemia, it is not really possible to answer your question and you need to discuss the significance of the findings with the doctor. Insulin is the main intrauterine growth hormone so that I think it quite possible that the hyperglycemia was due a transient insulin insufficiency that was in turn a reflection of the intrauterine malnutrition. Congenital partial or total absence of islet cells can occur; but it is very rare indeed. If blood sugars are now within normal limits and development is normal I do not see a need for further testing. There are other possibilities of course, hence the need to talk to the doctor.