From Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA:

Which is worse: Typeá1 or Typeá2? I have been told Type 1 is much worse than Type 2. If I have Type 2 should I feel relieved?

Type 1 diabetes mellitus indicates an autoimmune attack on the pancreas and more severe and absolute insulin deficiency as a result. Type 2 diabetes mellitus is a non-autoimmune form of diabetes often where there is plenty of insulin but not enough for the number of fat cells in the body. Both can produce high sugars (hyperglycemia) so that severity is not indicative of either type 1 or type 2. Type 1 usually requires insulin injections while type 2 may be treated with diet and exercise alone, a variety of pills, and/or insulin injections. Both can cause major long term health complications.

Additional comments from Dr. Robertson:

There's no such thing as "worse" in diabetes. What matters is how well you control it. This determines the likelihood of complications and hence long term health.

Additional comments from Dr. Deeb:

All types of diabetes need to have the blood glucose managed. The blood glucose is the danger. You need to do whatever is needed to manage the glucose level.