Question:

From March, Cambridgeshire, England:

I am keen to continue skydiving following a successful tandem jump but I can find no information or research into the effects of skydiving on diabetes. The British Parachute Association do not allow diabetics to jump solo, but they can in America. No one is able to provide me with any information to explain the differences, or offer any evidence as to what the risks are exactly for a person with diabetes (as opposed to "just" the risks of jumping out of plane!). I spoke to the chief medical officer of the BPA who told me "studies had been done" but he was unable to tell me what -- the British Diabetic Association have also tried to find out for me but have had no luck. As the sport is far more common in America I wondered if you could help.

Answer:

Contact the International Diabetic Athletes Association (1647-B West Bethany Home Road, Phoenix, AZ 85015, (800) 898-IDAA or (602) 433-2113). Their website is http://www.diabetes-exercise.org/.

WWQ

Posted to Exercise and Sports