Question:

From Maryland, USA:

I'm in between specialists now and want to confirm the glucagon dosage for my five year old daughter. She is type 1, has had diabetes for 22 months, and is forty pounds. My old specialist said to mix all of the glucagon but to only inject her with half of the vial. Is this true?

Answer:

We can't give you individual advice, but in general, most people recommend using 1/2 of the dose for children less than 20 kg (44 pounds). Some adults also use half the dose, based on their own experiences. Please get individual advice for your child. It is important to know how to use glucagon in the case of severe hypoglycemia.

LM