Question:

From Orange, California, USA:

I am 27 weeks pregnant with my third child. The baby currently weighs 1 pound 15 ounces by ultrasound. I have had IDDM for 11 years and have no complications. On a insulin pump the past 10 months, using Humalog. I am 28 years old. My first child weighed 8 pounds 11 ounces at 35-6/7 weeks and was a vaginal delivery. My second child was 9 pounds 14 ounces at 37 weeks and was a C-section. I have good control with my last A1c being 5.1% (at about 20 weeks). Past few weeks my blood sugars 2 hour after breakfast and sometimes after lunch have been 150's to 180's but all other sugars are good. Question: Is it possible and how likely with the history given is it for me to have a normal size baby? At least under 9 pounds! If I keep in good control is it likely my baby may be of normal size?

Answer:

It is certainly possible for you to have a normal size baby, but I cannot predict if you will or not. I want to encourage you to continue to maintain good glucose control. This should maximize your chances of preventing a large baby.

Posted to Family Planning