Question:

From Gainesville, Florida, USA:

I am a second year college student and am living off campus for the first time. This means that I have to go shopping for myself and cook too. I was wondering if you could tell me a meal plan that would be cost efficient and healthy?

Answer:

This is hard for any college student on a budget. I don't think there is anything wrong with the cheaper cuts of meat that can be trimmed or drained and used in your meal plan. Some students really enjoy the Ramen noodles -- you can use them with or without the flavor pack if you don't want too much salt. Macaroni and cheese can be adjusted to incorporate less fat. Using peanut butter for a protein source is good as well as well drained tuna. You will need to shop around to make sure you are getting the best buys, but following a meal plan can be inexpensive if you choose wisely -- fruits and veggies in season, etc.

JM