Question:

From Indiana, USA :

My boyfriend is a 21 year old Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed when he was 3. His health on average is good, but I worry about his lack of concern when his blood readings are very high (240-412) and when he has insulin reactions. He tends to go for sugary snacks, such as candy bars and cookies on a regular basis, and believes this is perfectly normal. What can I do to help him understand that this isn't a good thing? I worry constantly and I can't take the heartbreak of more frequent insulin reactions.

Answer:

Someone who has had diabetes since the age of 3 certainly knows the ropes of blood sugar control by 21 -- unless he had inadequate medical care and/or neglectful parenting.

I would really need to know more in order to respond fairly:

• Could he be manipulating you with his behavior?
  • Could he be passively suicidal?
  • Could he be generally reckless?

So many things are not clear to me from your post. The one thing I can tell you without a doubt is that you cannot manage his diabetes.

CMB

Posted to Behavior