From Fountain Valley, California, USA:

My daughter is a 21 year old adult who was diagnosed at age 15. She had been a pump user for about 6 months. In the last two years, she has had to be hospitalized on 4 occasions due to unexplained rises in her blood glucose, to over 500. In the hospital, IV administration of even large doses of Regular insulin resulted in her blood glucose going up; not down. After a few days of tests, monitoring and continued IV insulin, it finally goes down and her life returns to "normal". Is there any possible explanation (without being able to examine her) that can be given for such events?

I am sorry, but I am unable to explain this situation, especially over the Internet. Illness can make the body need more insulin, in which case a temporary raise of her basal rate would be indicated. Please speak to her diabetes care provider for individual advice.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA