Question:

From Alabama, USA:

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 four months ago, and I am 34 and was diagnosed with type 2 two months ago. We both wear eyeglasses already, and I have read that vitamin E will help increase blood flow to your eyes. How much should we take?

Answer:

I don't know that there is great science to support this, but 400 IU of Vitamin E is probably okay. Too much causes bleeding tendency. Discuss with your physicians and ask if they have any specific recommendations for you or your son.

Additional comments from The Editor:

See High-Dose Vitamin E Supplementation Normalizes Retinal Blood Flow and Creatinine Clearance in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.

JSH