From the state of Washington, USA:

My 3 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed almost 1 month ago with type 1 diabetes. Where are the trials involving vitamin E and nicotinamide and how do I receive more specifics about them?

For a number of years the existence of the honeymoon BCG immunisation was yet another approach that looked so promising in laboratory animals, but which failed in humans. Because of these disappointments the emphasis is now on detecting Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes before it has reached the stage of needing exogenous insulin. There is some evidence from a New Zealand trial that nicotinamide can delay insulin dependance and a large trial is still underway in Europe and Canada to verify this. In the US the interest has been on giving small doses of insulin subcutaneously or by mouth; but here again the final answer is not in.