From Olympia, Washington, USA:

Our 2 year old was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes does not run in either of our families. I have talked to several medical professionals and they have said that there is a huge increase in childhood diabetes in the last ten years. I believe it is possible that this huge increase may be related to the increase in immunizations required for babies and infants. I have a friend whose 13 year old was also diagnosed with diabetes. We need help to create a study to prove or disprove this theory.

The results of a recent study suggest that "changing the early childhood immunization schedule would not affect the risk of developing beta-cell autoimmunity or Type 1 diabetes." (Diabetes Care 1999 Oct;22(10):1694-7, Graves PM, Barriga KJ, Norris JM, Hoffman MR, Yu L, Eisenbarth GS, Rewers M) An abstract from the study can be found at PubMed.

There is one lone voice who believes that immunizations cause Type 1 diabetes: Dr. John Barthelow Classen. His reports related to immunizations can be found on his web site. The web site is run by Classen Immunotherapies, Inc., owned by Dr. Classen, and author of the reports. Also, see Concerns about Diabetes and Vaccines: Questions and Answers from the enters for Disease Control web site.

Additional comments from The Editor:

We have more information about immunizations.