Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I have a 7 year old who has been having a problem with frequent urination (every 15-30 minutes during the day and does make it through the night) and usually one time a day gets very fatigued. She has two aunts and a cousin with diabetes, who are also Hispanic. She recently had her urine and blood checked and there wasn't any sugar in the urine and the blood was 90. Three weeks later she is still having the problem with frequent urination and fatigue. In some of the questions I see that some children were diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Are these symptoms gradual and do they become increasingly worse? The doctors didn't find anything else wrong with the urine and just wanted to know how these symptoms develop.

Answer:

The most probable cause for these symptoms in a 9 year old girl would be a urinary tract infection and you should check with the doctor whether this was looked for. From what you say, I certainly don't think that further tests for diabetes are indicated at this time. Since the symptoms seem to go away at night I wonder if you haven't created an air of anxiety over diabetes because of the family history. If this is a possibility then explaining to your daughter what all the test were for and that they were negative should relieve both her anxiety and the symptoms.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses