Question:

From Santa Barbara, California, USA:

When my infant daughter was in an Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, we were told that her blood sugar levels were expected to be significantly lower than what we look for in my husband who is diagnosed type 1. This has made us wonder what would the normal levels be for our two year old son.

Answer:

Usually, in small babies, blood sugar levels can be low for a short time after birth. However, this usually sorts itself out after birth unless there are problems, in which case babies may need treatment to correct and prevent low blood sugars until they are established on feeds and their own sugar stores (glycogen) have been built up. However, a normal healthy 2 year old should have normal blood sugar levels.

JS