From Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter is 16 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one year ago. She is missing one permanent tooth. Is there any reason why we should not choose to correct this with a surgical implant? Could this implant itself or the procedure affect her in any other way? Would it be a "safer" correction to use a bridge (which we would have to grind down and cap her front tooth)?

An implant is likely to be somewhat more complex and stressful; but there are otherwise no specific contraindications on account of the diabetes.

Additional comments from Dr. Robertson:

I know of no possible impediment to your daughter having a surgical implant. If this requires a general anaesthetic (which it probably won't) then this should happen in hospital in case she vomits/hypos afterwards.

Addition comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

No reason to postpone the dental work. Make sure the blood glucose readings are as tightly controlled as possible since this will promote better healing and less infection. I do not know of any association of such dental problems with diabetes or any reason not to do the cosmetic work to get it corrected.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I spoke with a dentist who specializes in diabetes. Basically, though he said the implants he has done for those with type 1 work fine and he has no qualms about performing them, although he keep them on antibiotics for a bit longer. He said there would need to be adjustments for the insulin doses and meals, of course, on the day of surgery, but that is on an individual basis with the medical team. So basically he said a definite yes to the implant.