Question:

From Sandy Lake, Manitoba, Canada:

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with fructose/sucrose intolerance (Hereditary Fructose Intolerance) last week. Many diabetic recipes use fructose. I'm assuming that she should under no circumstances use fructose (dextrose, sorbitol). Can I substitute a sugar substitute like Equal which she is allowed to use in recipes?

Answer:

The artificial sweeteners should be fine. You will find that many recipes for folks with diabetes also include small amounts of table sugar and of course she should not use the table sugar. I did develop a list of fruits with varying amounts of sucrose for a person in a similar situation, so if you write back to ask for that, childrenwithdiabetes.com has put that in a table format so it is easy to use and may be quite helpful.

LSF