From Houston, Texas, USA:

My son was diagnosed 1 year ago with Type 1 diabetes. He is still in his honeymoon. We are contemplating a move to Rio de Janeiro and would like to find out the medical capabilities of other countries, specifically Rio, Brazil in our case. Can you share to best way to determine these capabilities abroad?

Rio will certainly have facilities for managing childhood diabetes but I can't offer specific advice. Perhaps you could start by contacting the Brazilian embassy or the American Diabetes Association.

Additional comments from Dr. O'Brien:

There is one pediatric endocrinologist listed in the Directory of Members of the ADA as practising in Rio. I think it would be wise to make contact before you move and to have your son's doctor write to the Brazilian physician; at the same time you could enquire about the availability of supplies.