From Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 three weeks ago. My husband and I are working very hard to learn everything we need to know, but I am still at a loss concerning sugars in food. How many grams of sugar are acceptable for her to eat for a snack? For dinner or other main meal? I have a listing of carbohydrates she needs, but nothing about sugar levels.

One can use the Food Guide Pyramid to guide you in the use of sweets and sugars in the diet. The carbohydrate counting system is based on the fact that a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate regardless of where it comes from -- sugar or starch. Some younger children do have higher blood sugars with the simple sugars, especially when given alone as a snack. There really are no recommendations for the amount of sugar allowed as long as the total carbohydrate remains within the bounds of the meal plan.