Question:

From Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 three weeks ago. My husband and I are working very hard to learn everything we need to know, but I am still at a loss concerning sugars in food. How many grams of sugar are acceptable for her to eat for a snack? For dinner or other main meal? I have a listing of carbohydrates she needs, but nothing about sugar levels.

Answer:

One can use the Food Guide Pyramid to guide you in the use of sweets and sugars in the diet. The carbohydrate counting system is based on the fact that a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate regardless of where it comes from -- sugar or starch. Some younger children do have higher blood sugars with the simple sugars, especially when given alone as a snack. There really are no recommendations for the amount of sugar allowed as long as the total carbohydrate remains within the bounds of the meal plan.

JM