Question:

From Alberta, Canada:

My 9-year old son has started wetting the bed at least once a week. He also eats so much food at dinner time we have to stop him or else he throws up. He drinks a full glass of water right after a glass of milk at meals. I don't know how often he urinates or drinks during the day because he's in school. He has started getting up at night (sometimes only 2 hours after going to the bathroom) to go to the bathroom. He has also lost 4 pounds in the last 5 months. I was wondering if I should be concerned and have him checked for diabetes.

Answer:

Indeed I would have him checked for diabetes. This usually involves a urine test at your physician's office. The typical symptoms for diabetes include excessive thirst, excessive hunger, frequent urination, and weight loss.