From Queensland, Australia:

My son is two; he was diagnosed when he was 11 months. His blood sugars have been up and down since then, although of late they have been good. He has been suffering from migraines and my question is "Is this a perk of diabetes?" and if so, how can I prevent them? He becomes very sick with his migraines and it always leads to vomiting and low blood sugar readings. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Migraine is rather unusual in a two year old and I think that you need to talk to your son's paediatrician to make sure that he has had a thorough neurological examination and to understand the basis on which the diagnosis was made. In the meantime, it is important to be sure that the headaches are not a manifestation of hypoglycemia and that the ups and downs of the blood sugars aren't perhaps due to an insulin dose that is a little bit too high.

There is no specific link between diabetes and migraine; but the stress of either can impair the management of the other.

Posted to Aches and Pains