Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I have a 13 year son with Type 1 diabetes. He has been in the honeymoon period for roughly 10 months. When discussing his honeymoon period, I stated that I wished he was a Type 2 rather than a Type 1, thinking Type 2 is easier to control. I was told that Type 2 is harder to control than Type 1. How can that be? Type 2 to me seems like just diet and exercise to control.

Answer:

You are correct in thinking that initially, Type 2 is controlled using diet and exercise, and indeed many people with type 2 need little more than this. However, usually older people are diagnosed with type 2, and the likelihood is that they have been undiagnosed for longer, and so more likely to develop complications of diabetes. However, type 2 is extremely rare in teenagers, and so the likelihood of your child having type 2 is very low.

JS

Posted to Type 2