Question:

From Nanuet, New York, USA:

I am a 29 year old with type 1 diabetes for 17 years. My question is regarding Humalog and pregnancy. Although not yet approved by the FDA, I have heard of women using it while pregnant. Different doctors have given me different answers, so now I am really confused!

Answer:

I have used Humalog during pregnancy after the first trimester with good success. Therefore, if you have good control I would recommend continuing using Humalog.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

When Humalog first became available, there had been no testing of its effects during pregnancy, especially of the possibility of damage to the early development of the fetus during the first few months of pregnancy. A letter was published in the New England Journal of Medicine reporting some cases of congenital abnormalities in babies of diabetic mothers using Humalog. However, these could not be absolutely attributed to this type of insulin. I am unaware of any further reports of problems that might be due to the insulin, but many doctors have taken the viewpoint that it might be safer to use Regular insulin instead of Humalog during the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy, when the baby's organs are developing, until further safety information is available.

WWQ

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Analogs