Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

I am 23 years old and have been diagnosed for two years with Type 1 diabetes. I recently experienced DKA, and until then I did not know just how serious my condition was. Ever since I was released from the hospital, I have had a serious water retention problem. My doctor said that my body is readjusting itself, but this has been going on for over a month. It has gotten to the point now that my ankles and knees "throb" all the time. Is this possibly something more that what the doctor thinks? Is there anything that I can do to relieve the pain?

Answer:

Usually, DKA is very quickly corrected and the body's metabolism gets back to normal within a few days.

The fluid retention may represent some other problem not related to your diabetes, and is worth having it checked out again with a physician, who may want to check out your urine, and possibly your thyroid. The swelling and pain you are experiencing may not be fluid related.

Once again, have another chat with your physician.

JS

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA