Question:

From America On-Line:

I am writing in response to the person from West Virginia who wrote that his/her friend, age 27 and very physically active, has been diagnosed with diabetes. The friend is on Glucotrol [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] but has very poor control despite good diet. This person probably doesn't need to see a diabetes educator, but an endocrinologist who will give a proper diagnosis. At 27 and fit, this friend probably has Type 1 diabetes. Unfortunately, the myth that Type 1 diabetes is a childhood disease lives on, and those of us who acquire Type 1 as adults are usually misdiagnosed, despite the obvious. We suffer horribly as doctors try pills on us, but the answer is to give us insulin. I hope you will reconsider your reply.

Answer:

I agree that adults with type 1 are very often mis-diagnosed and the description you give me certainly sounds like a person with type 1 diabetes who needs insulin. Very often a local diabetes educator can assist a person to get the appropriate care they need from the best caregiver.

Thank you for writing.

VV

DTQ-ONCEVV19990726