From a social worker in San Jose, California, USA:

What are the psychological ramifications for an 18 year old young man with Type 1 diabetes? If you could point me in the direction of some reading on this, I'd appreciate it.

There aren't any specific psychological ramifications for anyone with diabetes. Being diagnosed with diabetes is certainly stressful, and requires the individual and his family to figure out ways to cope with and adjust to this stress. Some families have wonderful ways of coping, others are less successful at integrating diabetes into their lives.

Some books that may help you understand the issues of coping and adjustment to diabetes are: In Control: A Guide For Teens With Diabetes by Jean Betschart, M.N., R.N., C.D.E. and Susan Thom, R.D., L.D., C.D.E.; The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Tim Wysocki, Ph.D.; and Practical Psychology For Diabetes Clinicians by Barbara Anderson and Richard Rubin.

Posted to Other Social Issues