Question:

From California, USA:

What is the new pill for type 1 diabetes? I read a article in Reader's Digest of September, 1999.

Answer:

Insulin by injection is still essential for the treatment of Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes; but recently some centers have used a drug called Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] as well to try to get better control. I do not read Readers Digest so I cannot say for sure if this is what was described; but I suggest that next time you go to see your doctor, you take the article with you and ask him/her to confirm this.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes