From Durham, North Carolina, USA:

Can I give my Type 1 diabetic 5 year old over-the-counter fever reducers that presumably contain sugar (for example, Tylenol [acetominophen])? If not, what should I give her?

You can use whatever your child's doctor recommends. A small amount of sugar will not have an impact on your child's health. I would caution about some of the cold medications (decongestants) may cause make the blood sugars go up, not by sugar content in the tablet, but by the effect of the medicine on the hormones of the body. You can still use cold medications, but check with your diabetes care provider for advice.

Posted to Other Medications