Question:

From Concord, New Hampshire, USA:

I work with children and adolescents in various rehabilitation settings. Currently I am working with a 15 year old client (female). She has been struggling to manage her diabetes have a "normal" adolescents. To better serve this young lady I am trying to find a peer support for her, preferably someone within an hour of where she lives, a few years older than she and someone interested in sports as this young lady loves to play soccer and lacrosse. At present she feels alone, incapable and fearful of engaging in the social outlets someone her age should be participating in and therefore unmotivated to care for her health. I am writing you to ask for assistance in locating a peer support for her. Any suggestions?

Answer:

The best way to find a peer support is to contact your local ADA office and ask them for the nearest pediatric diabetes teams in your area. The diabetes nurse educators at a pediatric program could probably let you know if a peer support program is already a part of what they offer.

JWB