From Pune City, India:

I am the father of a 13 year old son who has had IDDM since age 7. I would like to know what tests would you recommend for the healthy functioning of his kidneys in the years to come. Could you also please also let me know the normal range of values for the tests which need to be conducted? How often should these tests be done?

I would recommend that once a year your son should have a test for tiny amounts of protein in his urine -- microalbuminuria. There are quite a number of ways to do this test so you really need to ask the doctor who arranges it what method is being used and what the normal range or results is. He should also have a blood pressure check. Of course, keeping good blood sugar control over the long term markedly reduces the risk of there being a problem with his kidneys.