Question:

From Natal, South Africa:

My daughter is now 23 months old she was diagnosed three months ago with Type 1 diabetes. We are still very unsure of ourselves when dealing with her condition. She has a 30 day average reading of 6.2 [mmol/l] at the moment. I would like to know what is an acceptable high reading? We were told that it would be better to have her running a bit on the high side because she is still little. Her diet also still includes 4 teaspoons of sugar a day -- is this okay?

Answer:

I think that your daughter is doing rather well if she has an average blood glucose of 6.2 mmol/L. Of course this is an average and at this age you especially want to be sure that there are no values below about 3.3 mmol/L and the best way to prevent this is to build up a profile of blood sugar levels for the whole day including an occasional one from the middle of the night. Any level over 10 mmol/L would be considered too high. She should also be getting a Hemoglobin A1c level done about once every three months if that is possible. 4 tsp of sugar a day is fine, not all at one time though!

You may find a lot of useful information in Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D., which you can download without charge at www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/UIDDM.html.