Question:

From London, England:

My 2 year old niece has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I have two questions: (1) Is there any way she can be treated with insulin without the use of invasive puncturing needles? and (2) Is there any kind of safe sweets or treats I can buy her when we go out? I would appreciate your comments.

Answer:

Sadly insulin has to be given by injection. Sugar free sweets, etc., tend to have sorbitol in them which causes diarrhoea if more than a few are eaten. I am sure that her diabetes team have given her parents advice about when she can have a few sweets or some chocolate.