Question:

From the Bronx, New York, USA:

My daughter now has had diabetes for 3 1/2 months and we can't seem to get it under control. Her numbers have gone as high as 450 and we always check for ketones -- there aren't any present. My fear is if something else can develop if we do not get her numbers under control fast.

Answer:

My advice would be to work with a diabetes team that has experience in the care of young children with diabetes. In the New York City area there are many options.

You will find that the blood sugars will be variable, but with more experience and over time you will feel more comfortable in assessing and adjusting her insulin regimen. You won't be able to prevent all high blood sugars, but you will have a plan for what to do so that the sugars don't stay high for long.

I hope you can also meet with other families who have young children with diabetes.

LM