Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My thirteen year old son has been diagnosed 3 months ago. Since then his insulin has gone to 33 units in the morning and 28 at evening. He is scared of having to go to three shots a day. He also still does not want to meet anyone else like him. Is this normal or should I encourage him to meet others?

Answer:

Your son is still adjusting to his diagnosis and it is not surprising that he is reluctant to meet others with diabetes. However, it would be to his advantage to do so. I wonder if there are young boys his age that the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation could link you with -- or if your son might even use the Children with Diabetes chat rooms to connect with other kids who have diabetes? Isolation can complicate diabetes and my hope is that you can advocate for your son so that he does not feel so alone.

Another idea is diabetes camp next summer: I highly recommend that he attend and you need to start now to encourage him to go. It is the best opportunity I can imagine for the well being of your son.

CMB