Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

I am kind of confused. I was having very irregular periods, and in a period of about 4 years I have gained about 90 pounds. I had blood tests done and I was told that I have very high insulin levels, around 700 (whatever that means). I have to go for more tests and then I am going to start on medication. I guess they are testing hormone levels or something. I am 23 and I am totally clueless about what is going on in my body. I would appreciate some information to help me understand a little better.

Answer:

Please, please talk to your doctor to have this explained to you. If you don't get satisfactory results, then consider a second opinion. I can't tell over the Internet, but it sounds like your doctor may be evaluating you for polycystic ovary syndrome.

LM