From California, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes several weeks ago. He turned 7 two weeks later. We have a wonderful pediatrician but he has perhaps only 2 other children in his medical group, not his patients, with diabetes. Would my son "be better off" with a pediatric endocrinologist?

My feeling is that children and their families do best when they have the resources of a team of specialists, including a pediatric endocrinologist, pediatric nurse and dietitian who specialize in the care of children with diabetes, and hopefully the team also includes a counselor. I would not wait until the blood sugars become a problem (i.e., after the honeymoon period), but instead develop a diabetes care routine that is going to work long-term. I sometimes meet families for the first time when their pediatrician needs help -- after the child's own insulin production has decreased.

There are some pediatricians who have extensive experience in diabetes care, and work with community diabetes educators to complete the team. A clinician needs a large group of patients to understand and support you through the "art" of diabetes care.