From California, USA:

I read on the Internet about testing at the Barbara Davis Center which measured ketones generated on the breath of diabetics. How can I find out more about this study?

This study took place over ten years ago and was never published. The apparatus did work; but it was really far too cumbersome for individual use. For a time it seemed that it might be useful to monitor recovery from ketoacidosis where the degree of ketosis and the elevation of blood sugar are sometimes discordant. With better control however and improved turnaround times in the clinical laboratory, even this role became obsolete.

Posted to Research: Other