Question:

From St. Lucia, West Indies:

My son is 10 years old and has been diagnosed with Type 1 for nearly three years. He has two injections per day morning and pre dinner. Our problem is that his meal plan only allows for a light lunch and packed lunch which he has at school but occasionally we have to go out for lunch, often served early afternoons! Obviously we have to make adjustments in the morning injection but I am unsure how to do this.

Answer:

I don't know about the resources in your area, but it would be helpful to find a diabetes educator, physician, or dietitian to help you with your child's individual needs. There are other insulin plans that can help your child to eat a larger lunch or afternoon meal. The plans would likely involve more frequent blood glucose monitoring, and some short acting insulin with the afternoon meal.

In any case, read as much as you can about diabetes at this website, and take advantage of some of the links available. An excellent book is Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. which you can download without charge at http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud10.html

LM