Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

Our daughter, 28 is due to give birth soon. She has been on Zoloft [an antidepressant medication] due to being suicidal, suffering from post-traumatic syndrome, severe anxiety and possible bipolar as well as gestational diabetes. Someone told her Zoloft has been linked to newborn diabetes and death and this has caused her to stop taking it. Can you confirm what she was told? I haven't found anything so far to substantiate the story, but she is afraid to take it now. She was told by her doctor that she could take it up to 2 weeks before the baby is due and to resume when she stops breast feeding.

Answer:

The Physician's Desk Reference does not report this effect in mothers taking Zoloft. I cannot confirm what she was told. She should speak about this further with her physician.

Posted to Family Planning and Other Medications