Question:

From Michigan, USA:

My six year old son has type 1 diabetes and is in first grade. He is very bright and articulate, but is having a problem in school this year. Teachers are starting to talk about attention deficit disorder. Is there any connection between diabetes and learning abilities? His readings at school have been on the high side: would this have any bearing?

Answer:

There is no link between diabetes and ADHD, or behavioural disorders. In general, high blood glucose readings are usually asymptomatic if transient, although occasionally I have noticed children with pre-existing behaviour problems have worsening behaviour when their blood glucose is high, although there is no obvious reason why.

JS

Posted to ADHD