Question:

My mother has been taking Prandin [repaglinide, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] for one month, and when her finger is lanced, her blood runs out as thin as water. Is this normal? Would the continued use of this product cause a lack of clotting that could be fatal?

Answer:

Prandin is not associated with any anticoagulant activity, and is unlikely to cause excessive blood loss. I would question if there are any other changes which have occurred, such as taking aspirin regularly or other medications. Is she being treated for any other conditions beyond Type 2 diabetes? On a very practical note, your mother could be deficient in Vitamin K. Does she eat much spinach or other vegetables which are rich in this nutrient?

Your mother should mention the bleeding to the doctor. He/she may want to test her blood to see if it coagulates properly.

MGB

DTQ-ONCEM19991004
Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes