From San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Please, can you explain me my 5 year old nephew's GTT results? These are the results:

Fasting   79
1/2 hour 150
1 hour 186
2 hours 148
3 hours 95
4 hours 63

All urine glucose were negative. He had a former 2 hour postprandial [after eating] blood sugar value of 116. He is not diagnosed yet. Does this results mean he is diabetic?

The fasting blood sugar level in this test is normal so that with no sugar in the urine you can rest assured that your nephew is not now diabetic. The 1 and 2 hour levels are a little high; but this is almost certainly because the initial dose of glucose was somewhat high for his weight.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

See the guidelines for the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for more information about making the diagnosis of diabetes.