From Ellabell, Georgia, USA:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 9 months ago. I feel sure the honeymoon phase is over because his blood sugars are very hard to regulate now. It seems he is sick every other week and now he has started losing weight. He is continuing to eat normally sometime even wanting more. What can be causing the weight loss and what effect can it have on him?

I appreciate your difficult situation. Caring for a 4 year old with diabetes is difficult in any situation. Because there can be many reasons for weight loss in this age group -- some not even associated with his diabetes -- I would talk to your son's diabetes team and pediatrician regarding the best treatment. In addition, the dietitian on your diabetes team should be very helpful to you. Secondly, because the intake of food in a 4 year old is quite variable -- they tend to graze rather than eat regular meals -- their blood sugar control can be very difficult.