Question:

From Scotia, New York, USA:

I am ten years old and have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old. How come you need to take shots in the arm, belly, butt, and stomach?

Answer:

Insulin is given by injection, because if you ate it, the insulin would be "digested" and wouldn't work. There is research into delivering insulin other ways. I think your question had to do with where the injections are given. Insulin can be given in any fatty area. Your doctor or nurse can show you exactly where. The most common sites are those that you mentioned: the arms, legs, buttocks, and stomach. If you have other areas in mind, talk to your doctor or nurse.

LM