Question:

From Kuwait:

My son is 4 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago. Is there a medical solution for this problem? I'm worried about my son's future.

Answer:

We can all understand your concern for your son's future. However, you can turn that concern into positive action to keep him healthy. By paying close attention to the details of his care -- blood sugar testing, insulin adjustment, varying injection sites and healthy eating -- you are hugely decreasing the likelihood of problems with his diabetes. In due course you, and your son's diabetes team, will teach your son how to do all of this himself.

Every parent, and health professional, hopes that there will be a cure for diabetes and I really expect that there will be. It won't be soon but perhaps in the next 10-15 years. Nonetheless, the important thing is for your son to be in perfect health when such an opportunity comes along.

You will find a great deal on the pages of Children with Diabetes and related sites detailing the various avenues of promising research.

Posted to Research: Cure